Detergents, dryer sheets, fabric softeners — these are necessities in laundering your clothes. However, it is important to note that these products are composed of various ingredients, which may be harmful to your health and the environment.
Since you are washing your clothes with these products, you are also exposing yourself to any chemical residue that your detergents and fabric softeners may leave behind in your dryer. This, in effect, contaminates your machine. And when these chemicals heat up during the drying process, they transfer to the clothes.
Furthermore, when you wear these clothes, your skin comes into contact with these chemicals, which sometimes cause skin irritation or respiratory problems.
Detoxifying your dryer
It is because of the reasons above why you should opt for non-toxic or organic detergents instead. However, before doing so, make sure that your dryer has been decontaminated. You can easily do this by following the steps below:
- Spray an ample amount of non-toxic all-purpose cleaner, such as Branch Basics All-Purpose, down the interior of your dryer. A 1:5 dilution is typically recommended for Branch Basics All-Purpose.
- Leave your dryer with the soap pool for about ten minutes.
- Prepare a bath towel damp with water and the all-purpose cleaner.
- Add the damp bath towel to your dryer and start a standard dryer cycle. Leave the dryer to run until the cycle is complete and the towel is dry.
- One cycle is usually enough but feel free to repeat the process until the odors are gone.
It is quite essential to ensure that the products you're using on your clothes do not contain synthetic chemicals that may irritate your skin, cause illnesses, or damage the environment. Search for safer alternatives to the conventional detergents, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets. This way, you can contribute to preserving nature and make sure that you and your family are not exposed to health risks causes by such chemicals.